asdfasdfPingyao's old town is typically considered the best ancient walled city in China. Located in Shanxi Province, northen China, Pingyao is a significant Ming Dynasty walled city, with one of the few walls in China remaining intact and now a UNESCO World Heritage site. The city has a 2700 year history. It was the center of China's modern Banking system from 1825, however with the collapse of the Qing Dynasty the banking and finances were transferred to Shanghai and Hong Kong which turned the city into a backwater, saving it from development and preserving its character. The cities' wealth of Chinese traditional buildings include courtyard houses,historic bank courtyard buildings, and more than 3000 historic shops.
Nearby is perhaps China's most famous courtyard complex---"Wangs Great Courtyard" known as the "Forbidden City of Shanxi" a distinctive statement of Qing Dynasty civilian architecture that includes 123 large and small courtyards with 1118 rooms with an area of 45,000 sq.m. The surrounding countryside quite distinctive but clearly climate change in the last 1500 years has affected this area and reduced its richness from the onetime cradle of Chinese civilization.
All year round. The weather is similar to Beijing.
Day 1: Arrive in Taiyuan in the evening / Pingyao
- Beijing departure: Beijing - Taiyuan by high-speed train. D2005 15:20-18:45 (please pack your own dinner to eat on the train).
Shanghai departure: Shanghai Hongqiao - Taiyuan by air. MU5653 (17:00 -19:10)
Other locales: we welcome those to join us from other locales and meet us in Taiyuan.
- Upon arrival, board on coach and drive 2 hours to Pingyao. Its old town is typically considered the best ancient walled city in China.
- Check in the lantern-raising courtyard hotel inside the old town and stay overnight.
Day 2: Pingyao Old Town
- Wake up in the traditional Chinese bed (a small tea table in the middle of the bed) and old wooden house.
- Go for a walk on the old street of the ancient town, enjoy the peaceful morning and meet the locals sweeping the street or opening their stores' wooden door panels. (optional, exploring by yourself)
- Breakfast. Mount on the enclosed wall of Pingyao for a view of the whole fortress-like town with hundreds of courtyard houses within.
- Visit the Rishengchang Exchange Shop (or piaohao in Chinese), considered the first draft bank in China's history.
It was founded in Qing Dynasty(1823). Now the site has transformed into a mini museum to record the modern banking system of China during 19 and 20th century.
- After lunch, free time for you to explore the courtyards and residences, cobblestone streets, and museums on your own (or follow the guide if you like).
Courtyard restaurants and western cafes provide plenty of options for afternoon tea and coffee break.
- In the evening, dine in the courtyard where all red lanterns are lit up, peaceful and romantic.
- Stay another night in the same courtyard hotel in Pingyao.
(B, L, D)
Day 3: Pingyao (Family Wang's Courtyard) / Taiyuan / Depart Taiyuan
- Enjoy free time in the ancient town and check out of the hotel.
- Head to the "Family Wang's Great Courtyard" - nicknamed the Forbidden City of Shanxi. It is a fortress like courtyard complex, which is worth walking around more than half day.
- In the late afternoon, transfer to Taiyuan and depart Taiyuan by train or by air.
Beijing departure: by train Taiyuan - Beijing (around 19:29-22:45)
Shanghai departure: fly out. Taiyuan - Shanghai Hongqiao (around 20:35-22:30)
- Please note that the flights/train or timing of flights/train mentioned in the above itinerary may change subject to ticket availability and airline scheduling. Alternative hotels of similar standards will be used if any of the hotels mentioned in the itinerary is unable to provide enough accommodation.
- Because this trip requires high-speed train travel, you MUST provide us with a photocopy of your passport.
Beijing price: RMB 2700 Single Supplement: RMB 500
Shanghai price: RMB 4500 Single Supplement: RMB 500
Children ages 2-4 pay 50% of total tour price. (Single supplement would be applied if there is a need of extra bed)
Children ages 5-7 pay 60% of total tour price.
Children ages 8-11 pay 80% of total tour price.
Children ages under 2 pay nothing for the tour but may incur the transport costs listed below:
Train tickets cost:
If they require their own berthat on the train they will have to purchase an adult ticket
10% of adult ticket if the child does not require his/her own seat
50% of adult ticket if the child requires his/her own seat
CCC calculates its trip prices and books its trip accommodations based on dual-occupancy rooms. Therefore, single travelers who is booking this trip as a lone passenger, and for whom CCC cannot find a room-mate when booking or paying for the trip, will have to pay the “Single supplement”. Should a room-mate be found, the Single Supplement paid shall be refunded.
CCC services include:
--Round trip train tickets (air tickets for shanghai departure)
--2 nights in traditional courtyard hotel inside the ancient walled town.
--Transfers in customary air conditioned coach
--Entrance fee for all sights mentioned in the program
--All sightseeing and transfers with English-speaking tour guide
--Gratuities to the guide and driver
--Local travel insurance
Payment Terms and Conditions
Payment must be received before published deadline to receive corresponding price. Please refer to the following terms and conditions associated with each method of payment:
Payment at office: CCC must receive the amount (Cash or from credit card) before the published deadline to receive corresponding price.
Credit card: If paying by international credit card authorization form (moto form), CCC must receive your form 2 days before the published deadline in order to have time to process it, and for funds to be received on/by the published deadline.(click to view details)
Bank Transfer: CCC now requires that your payment must be transferred into Chinese RMB before you wire your bank transfer. We must receive a copy of the bank transfer receipt before the published deadline in order to guarantee your price.
Last minute booking: CCC cannot guarantee that we will be able to reserve tickets and rooms at this late stage but we will try our best. Thank you for your understanding.
CCC will respond to every email concerning payment immediately. If you do not hear from us this may indicate that we may not have received your email and we would advise you to call us to confirm. We cannot guarantee that we receive every email so the onus is on you to ensure we receive the payment information before the published deadlines. Thank you for your understanding.