You will stay overnight in the 1800 years old Bailin Zen Monastery, the only active Zen temple in China that accepts foreign guests and allows you to stay with the monks. However, don't be put off by the idea that you'd have to live like a monk--the dormitories have soft beds, hot water for bathing, and Western toilets.
Spend a weekend in the temple: learn about "the art of life" from the monks themselves, join the monks for daily meals (lots of fresh fruit, steamed bread, fried vegetables and rice congee) and sleep in the comfortable dormitory equipped with all the basics. Participate in actual prayer ceremonies and meditation with the monks inside the temple, have a discussion with monks on Zen and life, and attend a meditation workshop. The experience will open your eyes and your mind.
Then we will drive to the Yu Family Stone Village (Yujia Shitou Village), one of the least touristy villages of north China. Located in Jing Jing County, 80 kilometers from Shijiazhuang, it is the best example of stone architecture, the only national-level protected ancient village in Hebei. Yujia Village is nick-named stone city because it owns 4000 stone houses, 3700 meters long stone slab paved street, over 1000 stone well and pool, and 200 stone stelas. The local villagers' life haven't been changed so much as in other villages near the big cities.
* Bailin Temple is the only active Zen temple in China that accepts foreign guests and allows you to stay with the monks (but you have soft beds, hot water and western toilets)
* The Stone Village is typical vilage of old northern China, one of the least touristy villages of north China, and the best example of stone architecture.
* Local villagers still live their life like it was several decades ago.
* The peaceful and secluded temple is an ideal retreat in the journey "to know one' s self".
* Note: Our visit with the Zen monks requires special observance to the dignity and sanctity of their routine. As such, we regret that young children are not eligible for inclusion in this activity.
Day 1. Beijing / Shijiazhuang / Zhaozhou
- Meet at the Beijing Western Train Station and take morning bullet train (10:10-11:36,1.5hours) to Shijiazhuang, capital of Hebei.
- Transfer to a restaurant for lunch and then head to Bailin Monastery (one hour's drive).
- Check in the monastery dormitary and then tour around the compound.
- Learn basic information about Zen buddhism and rules of meditation. Follow monks to enter into their canteen and perform ritual and have dinner.
- After dinner break and then join the evening meditation pracise.
- Stay overnight in the temple.
Day 2. Zhaozhou / Jingxing (Yujia Stone Village) Shijiazhuang / Beijing
- Get up in early morning (06:00) to have breakfast, break, and attend their daily routine, e.g. morning chanting.
- Leave the monastery for Jingxing County and have lunch.
- Visit the Yujia (Yu Family) Stone Village, the best example of the ancient rural North China. As the only national-level protected ancient village in Hebei, it is much less touristy than the villages around Beijing.
Yujia Village is nick-named stone city because it owns 4000 stone houses, 3700 meters long stone slab paved street, over 1000 stone well and pool, and 200 stone stelas. Besides, many stone
- Drive to Shijianzhuang, transfer to the train station and arrive in Beijing around in the evening.(18:30-20:00)
- Our visit with the Zen monks requires special observance to the dignity and sanctity of their routine. As such, we regret that young children are not eligible for inclusion in this activity.
- The time to go to bed and morning wake-up (06:30) are much earlier than our usual schedule. The room is very basic, with only one simple bed
and bedside light. No any entertainment in the room or in the monastery.
- Three to four beds in one room. You have to share with other people of same sex (no couple are allowed to sleep in one room).
- You will have to eat monk's vegetarian food together with the monks in their canteen.
- No speaking or free chat during the daily routine and meal time.
Beijing price: RMB 1500 Single Supplement: RMB
Shanghai price: RMB Single Supplement: RMB
Children ages 2-4 pay 30% of total tour price. (Single supplement would be applied if there is a need of extra bed)
Children ages 5-7 pay 60% of total tour price.
Children ages 8-11 pay 80% of total tour price.
Children ages under 2 pay nothing for the tour but may incur the transport costs listed below:
Train tickets cost:
If they require their own berthat on the train they will have to purchase an adult ticket
10% of adult ticket if the child does not require his/her own seat
50% of adult ticket if the child requires his/her own seat
CCC calculates its trip prices and books its trip accommodations based on dual-occupancy rooms. Therefore, single travelers who is booking this trip as a lone passenger, and for whom CCC cannot find a room-mate when booking or paying for the trip, will have to pay the “Single supplement”. Should a room-mate be found, the Single Supplement paid shall be refunded.
CCC services include:
--Journey by bullet train Beijing-Shijiazhuang-Beijing
--1 night accommodation in the monastery
--Transfers in customary air conditioned coaches
--Entrance fee for all sights mentioned in the program
--All sightseeing and transfers with CCC guide
Payment Terms and Conditions
Payment must be received before published deadline to receive corresponding price. Please refer to the following terms and conditions associated with each method of payment:
Payment at office: CCC must receive the amount (Cash or from credit card) before the published deadline to receive corresponding price.
Credit card: If paying by international credit card authorization form (moto form), CCC must receive your form 2 days before the published deadline in order to have time to process it, and for funds to be received on/by the published deadline.(click to view details)
Bank Transfer: CCC now requires that your payment must be transferred into Chinese RMB before you wire your bank transfer. We must receive a copy of the bank transfer receipt before the published deadline in order to guarantee your price.
Last minute booking: CCC cannot guarantee that we will be able to reserve tickets and rooms at this late stage but we will try our best. Thank you for your understanding.
CCC will respond to every email concerning payment immediately. If you do not hear from us this may indicate that we may not have received your email and we would advise you to call us to confirm. We cannot guarantee that we receive every email so the onus is on you to ensure we receive the payment information before the published deadlines. Thank you for your understanding.