Kaili & surrounding Miao villages
Situated 195km east of Guizhou's capital, Guiyang, Kaili is the gateway to literally thousands of minority ethnic villages. It is the capital of the Southeast Guizhou Miao & Dong Nationalities Autonomous Prefecture with over 65% population of minority groups. Its surrounding villages still retain their original culture and charm. They provide beautiful countryside of terraced hillsides and quaint towns and wooden villages. You will experience the everyday life of the locals and see their colourful costumes & embroidery and silverwares.
Shidong & Silverwares
Shidong is a small Miao village about 1.5 hours to the north-east of Kaili, situated on the banks of the Qingshui River. It is worth a visit year round for its inexpensive silverware and embroidery and for the town market, which is held every six days. However, it is best known for its role as the host of the the Sisters' Meal Festival, held on the 15th of the third lunar month.
Sisters' Meal Festival
Once a local affair which provided opportunities for Miao men and women to meet and begin their courtship, this festival attracts thousands of natives who have gathered from many miles around, and has now become a major tourist attraction. It provides a dazzling display of local dress, and a lot of entertainment including clamor of drums, firecrackers, song and dance, bullfighting, horse racing, singing and dancing competitions and even beauty contests!
Zhenyuan Ancient Town & Wuyang River Scenic Area
A tranquil ancient town hidden in east Guizhou, surrounded by mountains and rivers.The thousand-year Miao People's village is famous for its beautiful landscape, historic sites and dense minority ethnic customs. It provides caves, palaces, pavilions, temples and rivers with their unique architecture, exquisite engravings and marvelous natural landscape.
Wuyang River flows 95km through the Miaoling Mountains from Huangping to Zhenyuan, and finally join into Yuanjiang in Hunan Province. Its scenic spots in Zhenyuan, Shibing and Huangping compose the National Wuyang Scenic Area. The most sightworthy and impressive scenery could be enjoyed in a cruise at Zhenyuan. Wuyang Three Gorges is the most beautiful section of the whole scenic area. Secluded caves, gurgling springs, rugged rocks, dangerous passes and spectacular waterfalls interspersed on the mountains of both banks along the three gorges endow the Wuyang River, along with the dangers of Yangtze River Three Gorges and the elegance of Li River in Guilin.
The Black Dragon Cave (Qinglong Cave)
Located on Zhonghe Mountain in the east of Zhenyuan, the Black Dragon Cave was built during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) in the precipitous Zhonghe Mountain. It is the largest ancient architecture remnants of Guizhou, including single and multi-storied pavilions, temples, shrines, palaces etc. The architectural sculptures and adornments are simple and unsophisticated and yet elegant. The Confucianist, Taoist and Buddhist temples were put together, representing a combination of the 3 beliefs. Against the green backdrop, the Black Dragon Cave looks like a garden with a temple clinging to cliff.
* Join thousands of native Miao people in spectacular jubilation, which carries on for several days
* Drive and walk along beautiful countryside of terraced hillsides and quaint towns and wooden villages.
* experience the everyday life of the local Miao & Dong People and see craftsmen make their colourful costumes & embroidery and silverwares.
* Explore ancient Town Zhenyuan
Day 1 Fly in Guiyang / Leishan /Miao village homestay
- Take the morning flight to Guiyang.
Upon arrival, we drive four hours to visit a famous Miao traditional musical instrument master's studio and watch him making lusheng - traditional Chinese musical instrument with multiple bamboo pipes.
- Explore special Miao villages for short-skirt Miao people and their unique granary on water.
- In the late afternoon, drive to another Miao Long-skirt Miao village and stay overnight in a village man's wooden building to gain a real experience of the local life and village scenery within the rice terrace .
- CCC Travel arranges clean bedding in the local wooden houses - two beds in a room; western sitting style toilets and showers are available in the wooden building.
Day 2 Taijiang Sister Meal Festival / Zhenyuan
- Drive to Zhenyuan to join the Sister Meal Festival opening ceremony and the rest activities for the day
- In the late afternoon, transfer to Zhenyuan (1.5 hours’ drive), a tranquil ancient town hidden in east Guizhou, surrounded by mountains and rivers.
- Stay overnight at Zhenyuan.
Day 3 Zhenyuan / Shidong Sister Meal Festival / Miao village homestay
- Visit Zhenyuan in the early morning.
- Then drive to Shidong for more activities of the Sisters’ Meal Festival, Shidong is a small Miao village situated on the banks of the Qingshui River. We will see local craftsmen making silverwares in this little village as well.
- Drive back to the first night village for the homestay.
Day 3: Miao Village / hike across the rice terrace hill from one Miao Village to another
- Walk around in this Long-skirt Miao people's villages (Women wear long-skirts in this village). Visit their hundred-year old traditional granary and listen to their old folk sing-along in the early morning.
- Take a 2-3 hours moderate hike from one Miao village to another by climbing cross the rice terrace hill along the paddy path (some section of the trail is steep).
- Drive 3.5 hours to Guiyang.
- Transfer to Guiyang Airport and fly out.
- About the homestay, it is a wooden building in a Miao Village, the extra rooms are available for receiving his guests, not hostel or nongjia le style guest house. Two beds in one room; shower and toilets are not available in the room but in the building.
- It's Miao custom that visiting men and women sleep in separate rooms. Because of this, during our stay with the Miao, couples--even married ones--will not be able to share a room.
Beijing price: RMB 6800 Single Supplement: RMB 550
Shanghai price: RMB 6300 Single Supplement: RMB 550
Children ages 2-4 pay 50% of total tour price. (Single supplement would be applied if there is a need of extra bed)
Children ages 5-7 pay 60% of total tour price.
Children ages 8-11 pay 80% of total tour price.
Children ages under 2 pay nothing for the tour but may incur the transport costs listed below:
Train tickets cost:
If they require their own berthat on the train they will have to purchase an adult ticket
10% of adult ticket if the child does not require his/her own seat
50% of adult ticket if the child requires his/her own seat
CCC calculates its trip prices and books its trip accommodations based on dual-occupancy rooms. Therefore, single travelers who is booking this trip as a lone passenger, and for whom CCC cannot find a room-mate when booking or paying for the trip, will have to pay the “Single supplement”. Should a room-mate be found, the Single Supplement paid shall be refunded.
CCC services include:
--Round flights(economy class) Beijing/Shanghai - Guiyang.(Business and First Class are available upon request and at an additional cost)
--1 night in 4-star hotel, 2 nights in the wooden building of a villager's home in a Miao village.
--Transfers in customary air conditioned coaches
--Entrance fee for all sights mentioned in the program
--All sightseeing and transfers with one CCC English-speaking tour leader & one local English-speaking tour guide
--Gratuities to the guide and driver
--Local travel insurance
Payment Terms and Conditions
Payment must be received before published deadline to receive corresponding price. Please refer to the following terms and conditions associated with each method of payment:
Payment at office: CCC must receive the amount (Cash or from credit card) before the published deadline to receive corresponding price.
Credit card: If paying by international credit card authorization form (moto form), CCC must receive your form 2 days before the published deadline in order to have time to process it, and for funds to be received on/by the published deadline.(click to view details)
Bank Transfer: CCC now requires that your payment must be transferred into Chinese RMB before you wire your bank transfer. We must receive a copy of the bank transfer receipt before the published deadline in order to guarantee your price.
Last minute booking: CCC cannot guarantee that we will be able to reserve tickets and rooms at this late stage but we will try our best. Thank you for your understanding.
CCC will respond to every email concerning payment immediately. If you do not hear from us this may indicate that we may not have received your email and we would advise you to call us to confirm. We cannot guarantee that we receive every email so the onus is on you to ensure we receive the payment information before the published deadlines. Thank you for your understanding.
- 4-Day Southeast Guizhou (Ethnic Culture, Hiking & Village Homestay)
- Highlights of West & Southeast Guizhou & Ethnic Culture
- Southwest China's Ethnic Groups and Landscape in Guizhou & Hunan
- Western Guizhou: Karst Landscape, Old Han & Long Horn Miao Village
- In-depth Southeast Guizhou to Dragon Backbone Terrace