Guizhou of Southwest China has long been remote, stagnant and backward, however, unspoiled by tourism development as seen in surrounding provinces such as Guangxi, Yunnan and Sichuan. Its relative isolation has made the region one of the best kept secrets in China; its stunning landscape, characterized by limestone karst hills, jagged peaks and terraced rice fields, as well as its colorful ethnic minority cultures that have made Guizhou a paradise for anthropologists, photographers and adventurous travelers.
This six day CCC tour will go into mountains and valleys of Yungui Plateau to explore several charming nature villages, starting from Miao people's Langde through Banyang River to the southeast end of Guizhou's Zhaoxing Village of Dong people, and enter the region of Guangxi's Longsheng.
In-depth Southeast Guizhou to Dragon Backbone Terrace
Note: This is an off-the-beaten track tour of CCC to explore some authentic and unknown minority ethnic villages of this already remote and backward province of Guizhou in southwest of China. Meet the people doing their daily works (weaving, embroidering, planting, feeding animals, doing other house works all outside of home in the villages), take some hike over the rice terrace and pass through wood, stay one night in the village and visit some traditional handicraft workshops.
You will experience authentic village life of minority people, colorful clothing, beautiful landscapes and unique wooden buildings, and pleasant sub-tropical area of southwest of China.
Day 1 Fly in Guiyang / Kaili / Homestay at a Miao village
Beijing -- Guiyang by plane about 09:00--12:00, Shanghai -- Guiyang by plane about 09:05--11:30.
Other locales: we welcome those to join us from other locales and meet us in Guiyang.
- Arrive at Guiyang Airport and transfer to Kaili, capital of Southeast Guizhou Ethnic Regions.
- Head to a village for paper-making workshop in a huge cave. The workers are making rice paper for traditional scroll painting or special paper for trade marks.
- Then drive to a Miao village to stay overnight in a village man's wooden building to gain a real experience of the local life and village scenery within the rice terrace .
CCC arranges clean bedding in the local wooden houses - two beds in a room; western sitting style toilets and showers are available in the wooden building.
Day 2 Miao Village / hike across the rice terrace hill from one Miao Village to another/ Zhaoxing
- Walk around in this Long-skirt Miao people's villages (Men wear long-skirts in this village). Visit their hundred-year old traditional granary and listen to their old folk sing-along.
- Take a 2-3 hours moderate hike from one Miao village to another by climbing cross the rice terrace hill along the paddy path (some section of the trail is steep).
- Return to Kaili and then drive to Zhaoxing- the largest Dong villages in the region with more than 700 households. Typical Dong architecture will be presented here: bridges of wind and rain, bell towers, brook runs under the bridges in the middle of lines of wooden houses. The local women weave on the street, or dye their fabrics in the cooker and then beat their purple and shine blue cloth on the rock. The local villagers will present a performance - ethnic dances and polyphonic style sing-along.
- We will stay overnight in the Dong style hotel in the center of this village.
Day 3 Zhaoxin/ Dong Village/ Miao Village
- Take 1 hour's ride to visit two Dong villages. Visit one of the most beautiful Dong Villages, chat with the local people and get to know their life style and culture.
- Then hike around and up the mountain, we will visit Basha Miao People village. The people wear traditional costumes and long hairs. Men are also known for having their hairs cut and shaving with huge sickle. The head will be bold leaving center hairs long and braided into a long plait.
- Return to Zhaoxing and stay another night.
Day 4 Zhaoxing / Sanjiang / Longsheng (Dragon Backbone Rice Terrace)
- We depart Zhaoxing for Yangxi, on the way we will take a look at Tang An, a Dong village with rice terrace and Dong ethnic Minority museum.
- Then we will have lunch after viewing a wind & rain bridge.
- Afterwards we continue our journey south into Guangxi Province's Sanjiang, a village of South Dong people, one of the two subgroups of Dong ethnic minority. A short drive further down will take us to Chengyang, a little village with the largest wind and rain bridge. Walking behind the bridge we will see farms and market at the foot of the hill.
- Drive to Longsheng and stay overnight on the traditonal hotel on top of the rice terrace hill.
Day 5 Longsheng / Guilin / Fly out
- The terraces are beautiful -- a real photographer's dream and an amazing feat of farming. Thousands of acres, inaccessible by mechanical tools, have to be tilled and cared for by hand.
- Wake up in the morning on the hill, go for a walk with the sunrise and glittering rice terrace.
The layers upon layers of rice terrace reach up to 1,000 meters peak. It’s worth staying a whole day there, climbing up to the top for stunning views and great photos.
- We will leave Longsheng at 5pm to Guilin and fly out.
Guilin - Beijing (arrival around 11-12pm)
Guilin - Shanghai Hongqiao (arrival around 10-11pm)
- 4-Day Southeast Guizhou (Ethnic Culture, Hiking & Village Homestay)
- Guilin, Yangshuo & Longsheng Rice Terraces
- Sisters' Meal Festival at Guizhou
- Highlights of West & Southeast Guizhou & Ethnic Culture
- Southwest China's Ethnic Groups and Landscape in Guizhou & Hunan
- Western Guizhou: Karst Landscape, Old Han & Long Horn Miao Village
- In-depth Southeast Guizhou to Dragon Backbone Terrace