The summer on the Inner Mongolia Hulunbuir Grasslands is amazing! In July, there are kilometer after kilometer of fields of bright yellow rapeseed flowers along the roads. And come August, the grasslands will be a riot of multi-colored wildflowers
The 10,000 + hectare Aershan National Forest Park is about 300 kilometers away from the Hulunbuir grassland, which is known for its dramatic volcanic landscapes, dense forests, valleys, mountaintop crater lakes, rivers, grasslands, and springs.
About Aershan Town and Aershan National Forest Park
A’ershan is located on the southern sections of the Greater Hing'an Range, a 1,200 km long volcanic mountain range in northeast China which divides the Manchurian plain of northeastern China to the east from the Mongolian Plateau of Inner Mongolia to the west.
Aershan features the broad-leaved forests and patches of grassland interspersed with woodland. This eco-region is noted for its rich and diverse flora and wildlife. Dense forests of larch, birch, aspen, and pine cover the region with shrubs covering at the highest elevations.
The Aershan National Forest Park is a 100,000+ hectare forest reserve, which is well known for its dramatic volcanic landscapes, dense forests, valleys, mountaintop crater lakes, rivers, grasslands, and springs. The park infrastructure is well developed, with boardwalks and paths leading to the key scenic areas.
It’s more rolling hills than big mountains, which are all covered in thick carpets of mixed pine, aspen and deciduous forests. The Halaha River rolls through it on its 500-kilometer journey into the grasslands. They say brown bear, elk and wolves prowl its depths, but squirrels and sparrows are more likely encounters. And when the season turns, the whole place becomes a mass of gorgeousness.
Hulunbuir (or Hulun Beier) Grasslands
Located outside the remote Russian border town of Manzhouli, Inner Mongolia, the Hulunbuir Grasslands are the most lush and pristine in China. The grasslands here are known locally as the "most unsullied prairie" for the area’s pollution-free skies. In summer, the uninterrupted green stretches in all directions. In addition, Hulunbuir is fed by hundreds of rivers, large and small, that have made this area popular with Mongolian nomads and herders.
Visitors can try horseback riding in the Hulunbuir Grasslands and sample a local dish of boiled or barbecued lamb. At night, you can spend a night in the yurts that will give you a picture of the lives that the nomads and the marauding Mongols of the past lived.
* Enjoy a stay in a yurt (tented camp), surrounded by the grasslands, large herds of sheep and cows, flowing rivers and wide, blue skies.
* Come see bright yellow rapeseed flowers and multi-colour wildflowers on the grassland and along the roads.
* Immerge yourself in the 100,000+ hectare forest reserve, which is well known for its dramatic volcanic landscapes, dense forests, valleys, mountaintop crater lakes, rivers, grasslands, and springs.
* Hike along the boardwalk and path to explorethe Aershan eco-region's rich and diverse flora - dense forests of larch, birch, aspen, pine, and numerous wildflowers.
Mid June through early September for the Inner Mongolian grassland. It will be freezing and no grass for the rest of the year.
Aershan National Forest Park is very beautiful in the fall (it is getting very cold since October).
Day 1 - Fly to Hailaer / Hulunbuir Grassland
* Beijing to Hailar (flight departs between 07:00-09:00)
* Shanghai –No direct flights are available from Shanghai to Hailaer. The night before, you’ll have to first fly to Beijing, and fly to Hailaer the next morning.
* Other locales – we welcome those to join us from other locations and meet us in Hailar!
- Arrive in Hailar, the largest city in the Hulunbuir (or Hulun Beier) Prefecture with rolling grasslands stretching for miles and miles.
- From the airport, we' ll drive to one area of the Hulun Buir Grassland, where you' ll be able to check into your yurts. The mushroom-like yurts, bright sky, fresh air, rolling grass, and flocks and herds roaming like white clouds over the remote grassland will give you a quiet and relaxing experience you’ll never forget!
- After lunch, take a walk or hike along the river running through the grassland.
- Visit a local herdsmen's home to learn more about life and culture in the Hulunbuir Grassland.
- Free time. You can ride horses over the majestic grasslands, or simply relax under the gorgeous blue sky.(RMB100 for around 10 minutes, RMB200 for 20 minutes)
- At night, sit in front of your yurt to face the tranquil river and grassland, and engage in an activity impossible in the city: counting stars! When you' re ready to turn in for the night, you' ll sleep in the yurts as the members of this area have done for centuries (check the yurt picture for reference).
Day 2 Hulunbuir Grassland / Aershan / National Forest Park
- The day begins with some free walk on the beautiful grassland in the morning.
- Drive to Aershan town and have lunch.
- Hike the rolling mountains from the Rose Peak to nearby peaks.
- Optionally, take this time to enjoy the hot spring bath in Aershan.
- Drive to the Aershan National Forest Park and check into the hotel.
- Hike along the steps up to see the heavenly Pool on the summit.
- Dinner and stay overnight.
Day 3 Aershan National Park / Fly out
- Explore the Valley, Gorges, lakes,
- Lunch and continue to explore other sceneries of the park.
- Transfer to Aershan Airport and fly out.
Flight Aershan – Beijing 18:10 - 20:40)
- Please note that the flights or timing of flights mentioned in the above itinerary may change subject to ticket availability and airline scheduling. Alternative hotels of similar standards will be used if any of the hotels mentioned in the itinerary is unable to provide enough accommodation.
CCC Travel does not offer regular set packages for this tour. However we are happy to help you plan a private custom-made one. Please scroll this web page down to check non-negotiable fixed prices and propose a date for your own group. Please note that we do not create a private tour and then make it available for individual people to join. We also do not contact other people to add to a group tour. Similarly, we can create custom-made private journeys for you and your family or friends or co-workers at set-prices.
- Hulun Buir Grassland, Inner Mongolia & Russian Village
- Camel-riding & Camping in Mongolian Desert and Jeep Surfing Sand Dunes
- Homestay in Herdsman's Yurt, Xilin Gol Inner Mongolia Grassland
- Aershan National Forest and Hulunbuir Grassland
- Camping, Camel Riding, Jeep Surfing and Hiking on Mongolian Desert
- Aershan Forest Autumn Tour