Hulunbuir (or Hulun Beier) Grasslands
Located outside the remote Russian border town of Manzhouli, Inner Mongolia, the Hulunbuir Grasslands are the most lush and pristine in China. The grasslands here are known locally as the "most unsullied prairie" for the area’s pollution-free skies. In summer, the uninterrupted green stretches in all directions. In addition, Hulunbuir is fed by hundreds of rivers, large and small, that have made this area popular with Mongolian nomads and herders.
Visitors can try horseback riding in the Hulunbuir Grasslands and sample a local dish of boiled or barbecued lamb. At night, you can spend a night in the yurts that will give you a picture of the lives that the nomads and the marauding Mongols of the past lived.
Enhe - A Russian Township near Shiwei
Shiwei was listed as one of top ten most beautiful townships in China in 2007. Although the town is still beautiful, this distinction has led to an influx of tourists! Thus, CCC selects Enhe near Shiwei. Located by the Erguna River, which acts as the border between China and Russia, the Enhe township features Russian descendants, Russian-style wooden houses and filled windows, and a golden-silver birch forest.
Manzhouli (Sino-Russian Border Town)
CCC does not include Manzhouli in group tours, as it has been urbanized so quickly. It has become a busy city and lost its original flavor.). But we arrange the visit unpon request. It needs another one and half to two days to visit from the grassland.
Manzhouli, about 70km west of Hailar, is a small city with a population of around 150,000 and an area of 696 square kilometers. The town lies on the Sino-Russian border, giving it a lively feel that is especially interesting in this far corner of China. This is a place for hardy travelers, entrepreneurial Russians, and bartering Chinese trying to thrive on cross-border trade.
Erguna River, Genhe Wetland and Erguna City The water of the Hailaer River flows from east to west before turning northeast about 20 km north of Hulun (or Dalai) Lake. At this point, the Hailaer River becomes the Ergun (Chinese name) or Argun (Russian name) River and forms the Chinese border with Russia's Zabaykalsky Krai region (formerly, Chita Oblast).
Ergun City occupies 28,400 km2 on the southeastern bank of the Ergun River. It was the hometown of Genghis Khan (1162-1227), who conquered most of Asia and Eastern Europe to the Dnieper River.
* Enjoy one of the few remaining, well preserved Mongolian grasslands in China & Mongolia
* Walk in the footsteps of Genghis Khan in Ergun, and see the Ergun River and Wetland
* Explore a Russian township and meet its Russian descendants at the border to Russia
Summer from June to early September.
Please note that CCC offers two separate Inner Mongolia grassland tours. Both of them are good but offer different features depending on what your objective is and what you expect from the tour. In order for you to choose the tour best meeting your needs, we provide some comments here for your reference.
Day 1 - Fly to Hailaer / Hulunbuir Grassland
- Fly into Hailar in the morning.Hailar, the largest city in the Hulunbuir (or Hulun Beier) Prefecture with rolling grasslands stretching for miles and miles.
- From the airport, we' ll drive to one area of the Hulun Buir Grassland, where you' ll be able to check into your yurts. The mushroom-like yurts, bright sky, fresh air, rolling grass, and flocks and herds roaming like white clouds over the remote grassland will give you a quiet and relaxing experience you’ll never forget!
- After lunch, you' ll have time to take a walk by the grassland's river.
- Visit a local herdsmen's home to learn more about life and culture in the Hulunbuir Grassland.
- Free time. You can ride horses over the majestic grasslands, or simply relax under the gorgeous blue sky.(RMB100 for around 10 minutes, RMB200 for 20 minutes, we do not recommend to ride horse here; we will arrange horse ride on a horse farm on Day 3 instead, where we will have professional protection. )
- At night, sit in front of your yurt to face the tranquil river and grassland, and engage in an activity impossible in the city: counting stars! When you' re ready to turn in for the night, you' ll sleep in the yurts as the members of this area have done for centuries (check the yurt picture for reference).
Day 2 Hulunbuir Grassland / Hailar / Ergun (Erguna) / Russian Town
- The day begins with free time to enjoy the beautiful grassland in the morning.
- Drive about 1 hour through the grassland to Erguna, hometown of Genghis Khan (1162-1227), the infamous Mongol ruler who conquered most of Asia and Eastern Europe.
- After lunch, drive to the Erguna wetland for a walk on the plank road.
- Take a side trip to a Russian village, a beautiful and peaceful place with scenery similar to Shiwei (which was listed in 2007 as one of ten most beautiful townships of China, but is getting touristy now). The silver birch forest, up-and-down paddy fields along the slope, and Russian-style wooden houses and window decorations make for a truly unique experience.
- Stay overnight at a Russian-style guesthouse.
Day 3 Russian Town / Ergun Wetland / Hailaer / Fly out
- Begin your final day by exploring the Russian Ethnic Township at the border and making a home visit to a Russian-Chinese family. You might encounter some elders who are descendants of Russians and get to hear their fascinating stories.
- Return to Hailar and visit the National Forest Park.
- Drive back to Hailar in the evening and fly back to Beijing.
- Please note that alternative hotels of similar standards will be used if any of the hotels mentioned in the itinerary is unable to provide enough accommodation.
CCC does not offer regular set packages for this tour. However we are happy to help you plan a private custom-made one. Please scroll this web page down to check prices and propose a date and your own group.
3-day bespoke tour prices
10% discount for children under 12.
Private English-speaking guide(s) (selected by CCC)
Experienced Chinese-speaking driver and quality, air-conditioned vehicle
1 night accommodation in the yurt and 1 night in a Russian-style guesthouse
All admission fees and activity expenses, as noted in the itinerary
All meals as noted in the itinerary
What's Not Included:
Domestic flights and relevant taxes
(If you want us to book your domestic flights in this itinerary, please let us know.)
Expenses of a personal nature
Excursions and activities not included in the itinerary
Discretionary gratuities for guides and drivers
Chinese tourist visa, which is required for most foreign passport holders
Travel, health and trip cancellation insurance
We offer our itineraries as suggestions only; all of our tours can be tailored to your individual interests.The above prices may change based on any specific requirements you may have. The extended trip is available upon request.
Prepayment is necessory so we can book your flights/train tickets/car transportation and guides.
Click here for details Payment method
- Hulun Buir Grassland, Inner Mongolia & Russian Village
- Camel-riding & Camping in Mongolian Desert and Jeep Surfing Sand Dunes
- Homestay in Herdsman's Yurt, Xilin Gol Inner Mongolia Grassland
- Aershan National Forest and Hulunbuir Grassland
- Camping, Camel Riding, Jeep Surfing and Hiking on Mongolian Desert
- Aershan Forest Autumn Tour