Xi'an is 1200 kms southwest of Beijing (1hour and forty minute flight); 1084 kms northwest of Shanghai (2 and half hours flight). Xian had long been the capital of ancient China. The emperor Qin Shihuang went on to establish the first imperial capital of China in Chang'an (present day Xi'an). For centuries, the Chinese Empire was governed from this location, and Chang'an remained largely its political hub until the end of the Tang dynasty around 900 AD.
Located at the eastern end of the Silk Road, Xi'an is home to some of the most spectacular sights in China, including the UNESCO-listed mausoleum of Emperor Shihuang with its thousands of life-sized terracotta warriors and their horses. Xi'an's excellent museum is one of the best in China, with Tang Dynasty pottery figurines and other relics. The Muslim Quarter, the Great Mosque, and the spectacular City Walls are all great historical sites.
So no visit to Xi'an should be considered complete tour to China without at least a stop here.
Luoyang lies in the "centre of the loess" near to the south of the Yellow River in Henan province. For several centuries, Luoyang was the center of China, a major cradle of Chinese civilization.
Luoyang has Longmen Grottoes, one of the 4 most famous Buddhist grottoes in China with over one hundred thousand Buddha figures in more than twenty three hundred niches carved on the hill; and Songshan Mountain's famous Shaolin Temple - the cradle of Shaolin Kung Fu and the number one Buddhist temple in China.
Day 1 Depart for Xi'an
- Fly into Xi'an in the morning. Upon arrival, drive to the old city for a leisure stroll along glorious Ming-era city walls of the ancient city Xi'an.
- Then visit the world famous excavation site - the Terracotta Warriors, thousands of life-sized soldiers, officers, horses and wagons, form a component of the underground army buried to protect the first emperor of China during his afterlife - he is also builder of the Great Wall.
- Stay over night in Xi'an.
Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square (L)
Day 2 Xi'an City
- This day we make for an early start to the Small Goose Pagoda - one of China's most famous pagodas,
- Then visit the Shaanxi History Museum, meandering through its halls of ancient treasures that trace back more than 1,000 years of Chinese History, and evidence the important role Xi'An played as a center of development for Buddhism.
- After lunch, we explore the winding alleys of the Muslim Quarter with its unique Great Mosque. You will also have time for shopping in the bazaar.
Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square (B,L)
Day 3 Luoyang / Longmen Grottoes / White Horse Temple
- Check out the hotel in Xi'an and transfer to Luoyang by the new bullet train. G2002 (8:30~10:23)
- Upon arrival, we will visit the Longmen Grottoes, UNESCO-listed world heritage site in 2000. It is one of the 4 most famous Buddhist grottoes in China with over one hundred thousand Buddha figures in more than twenty three hundred niches carved on the hill.
- After lunch, we will visit the White Horse Temple, the very first temple in China when Buddhism was introduced from India;
- Afterwards, we visit the Six Horses Chariots Museum,.
a newly excavated emperors' pit where a dozen of chariots and scores of horses were found dating back to 770 BC East Zhou Dynasty. Other valuable bronze and pottery articles were available as well. The pit was discovered by the construction workers recently when they built the city center square.
- Stay over night in Luoyang
Lee Royal Hotel Mudu (B,L)
Day 4 Luoyang / Shaolin Temple / Depart Luoyang
- We will drive 1.5 hours to Songshan Mountain, to first visit tHE Wusengyuan(the Warrior Monk Department)
Behind Shaolin Temple, further up the mountain and surrounded by forest, lies Wusengyuan (the Warrior Monk Department), where students who have been selected by the temple receive their Kungfu training. Many students begin at an early age (five or six years old) and train for years; some decide to become monks and remain at Shaolin. CCC has been granted access to visit Wusengyuan, where we will watch a demonstration by the students, then tour their dormitories and dining hall to see their living conditions.
- Have lunch at the vegetation restaurant in another temple nearby.
- visit the famous Shaolin Temple, the cradle of Shaolin Kung Fu and one of the most famous Buddhist temple in China. Now it serves as a center for Zen Buddhism research and development.
- And then visit the Forest of Pagodas in the back of Shaolin Temple.
- Drive to Zhengzhou, capital city of Henan for departure.
Please note that the flights or timing of flights mentioned in the above itinerary may change subject to ticket availability and airline scheduling. Alternative hotels of similar standards will be used if any of the hotels mentioned in the itinerary is unable to provide enough accommodation.
4-day bespoke tour prices
RMB5,300/person/6-9 people10% discount for children under 12
Single supplement RM1,500 for 3 nights
Bullet train tickets Xi'an-Luoyang,Zhengzhou-Beijing
Private English-speaking guide(s) (selected by CCC)
Experienced Chinese-speaking driver and quality, air-conditioned vehicle
All accommodations based on double-occupancy (Five-star hotels or equivelant boutique hotels)
All admission fees and activity expenses, as noted in the itinerary
All meals as noted in the itinerary
What's Not Included:
Domestic flights and relevant taxes
(If you want us to book your domestic flights in this itinerary, please let us know.)
Meals apart from those included in the itinerary
Expenses of a personal nature
Excursions and activities not included in the itinerary
Discretionary gratuities for guides and drivers
Chinese tourist visa, which is required for most foreign passport holders
Travel, health and trip cancellation insurance
We offer our itineraries as suggestions only; all of our tours can be tailored to your individual interests.The above prices may change based on any specific requirements you may have. The extended trip is available upon request.
Prepayment is necessory so we can book your flights/train tickets/car transportation and guides.
Click here for details Payment method
- Ancient City Xi An (Terracotta Army Site)
- Xi'an (Terracotta Warriors) & Luoyang (Grottos & Shaolin Temple)
- Shaolin Temple & Luoyang Longmen Grottos
- Maijishan Grottoes & Famen Temple
- 3-day Tour to Datong (Grottoes) & Xi'an (Terracotta Warriors)
- The Shaolin Temple Retreat & Experience programs
- Ancient City Xi An (Terracotta Army Site) & Yangtze River Cruise
- The Long March's Terminus Yan'an & Yellow Earth
- Xi'an (Terracotta Warriors) & Yan'an (Mao's headquarters & Loess Pleteau)
- 6-Day In-depth Henan Cultural Heritage Tour