Pingyao's old town is typically considered the best ancient walled city in China. Located in Shanxi Province, northen China, Pingyao is a significant Ming Dynasty walled city, with one of the few walls in China remaining intact and now a UNESCO World Heritage site. The city has a 2700 year history. It was the center of China's modern Banking system from 1825, however with the collapse of the Qing Dynasty the banking and finances were transferred to Shanghai and Hong Kong which turned the city into a backwater, saving it from development and preserving its character. The cities' wealth of Chinese traditional buildings include courtyard houses,historic bank courtyard buildings, and more than 3000 historic shops.
Nearby is perhaps China's most famous courtyard complex---"Wangs Great Courtyard" known as the "Forbidden City of Shanxi" a distinctive statement of Qing Dynasty civilian architecture that includes 123 large and small courtyards with 1118 rooms with an area of 45,000 sq.m. The surrounding countryside quite distinctive but clearly climate change in the last 1500 years has affected this area and reduced its richness from the onetime cradle of Chinese civilization.
All year round. The weather is similar to Beijing.
Suggested itinerary for a private custom-made tour
Day 1: Beijing/ Pingyao
- Take the high-speed train to Pingyao in the late afternoon.
- Upon arrival, transfer to the old town of Pingyao, which is considered the best ancient walled city in China.
- Check in the boutique hotel inside the old town and stay overnight.
Day 2: Pingyao Old Town
- Wake up in the traditional Chinese bed (a small tea table in the middle of the bed) and old wooden house.
- Go for a walk on the old street of the ancient town, enjoy the peaceful morning and meet the locals sweeping the street or opening their stores' wooden door panels. (optional, exploring by yourself)
- Breakfast. Mount on the enclosed wall of Pingyao for a view of the whole fortress-like town with hundreds of courtyard houses within.
- Visit the Rishengchang Exchange Shop (or piaohao in Chinese), considered the first draft bank in China's history.
It was founded in Qing Dynasty(1823). Now the site has transformed into a mini museum to record the modern banking system of China during 19 and 20th century.
- After lunch, free time for you to explore the courtyards and residences, cobblestone streets, and museums on your own (or follow the guide if you like).
Courtyard restaurants and western cafes provide plenty of options for afternoon tea and coffee break.
- In the evening, dine in the courtyard where all red lanterns are lit up, peaceful and romantic.
- Stay another night in the same boutique hotel in Pingyao.
Day 3: Pingyao (Family Wang's Courtyard) / Taiyuan / Depart Taiyuan
- Check out of the hotel.
- Head to the "Family Wang's Great Courtyard" - nicknamed the Forbidden City of Shanxi. It is a fortress like courtyard complex, which is worth walking around more than half day.
- In the late afternoon, back to Beijing.
- Please note that the alternative hotels of similar standards will be used if any of the hotels mentioned in the itinerary is unable to provide enough accommodation.
- Because this trip requires high-speed train travel, you MUST provide us with a photocopy of your passport.
Bespoke tour to Pingyao Town-Raise the Red Lantern
RMB5, 100/person/1 people
RMB3, 200/person/2-3 people
RMB2, 900/person/4-5 people
RMB2, 500/person/6-9 people10% discount for children under 12.
Single supplement RM900 for 2 nights
Journey by bullet train Beijing-Pingyao-Beijing
Private English-speaking guide(s) (selected by CCC)
Experienced Chinese-speaking driver and quality, air-conditioned vehicle
All accommodations based on double-occupancy (Five-star hotels or equivelant boutique hotels)
All admission fees and activity expenses, as noted in the itinerary
All meals as noted in the itinerary
What's Not Included:
Meals apart from those included in the itinerary
Expenses of a personal nature
Excursions and activities not included in the itinerary
Discretionary gratuities for guides and drivers
Chinese tourist visa, which is required for most foreign passport holders
Travel, health and trip cancellation insurance
We offer our itineraries as suggestions only; all of our tours can be tailored to your individual interests.The above prices may change based on any specific requirements you may have. The extended trip is available upon request.
Prepayment is necessory so we can book your flights/train tickets/car transportation and guides.
Click here for details Payment method
- Overnight tour to Datong (Grottoes, Hanging Monastery)
- Pingyao Town - Raise the Red Lantern
- Datong (Grottoes) & Pingyao (Fortress Town)
- Shanxi's Laoniuwan Village by Yellow River and Great Wall
- 3-day Tour to Datong (Grottoes) & Xi'an (Terracotta Warriors)
- Wutai Shan - The First Among the Four Great Mountains