>> The power point show has 1000 slides covering 200 artists.
>> The lecture is conducted in English by an insider art researcher who has been living in the contemporary artists' community for decades.
Lecture Series Outline
The five-session lecture series on Chinese contemporary art will include:
– brainstorming more ideas for this course
• Video presentation: A film by Lana Jokel entitled “Chinese contemporary art goes to NYC” (2004).
– Assigning book readings
• Topic: Landmark architecture and artists’ emotions
Signature architecture as a performative site for retracing collective memory and generating individual reflection.
• Topic: Landmark architecture and artists’ emotions (cont’d)
Signature architecture as a performative site for retracing collective memory and generating individual reflection (cont’d).
• Documentary Film: Project 798: New Art in New China, by Lucius C. Kuert
• Topics: Traditional motifs and artists' dreams
Traditional architecture as a commemorative site for recollecting the past history and responding to the ongoing drastic transformation.
• Staged photography and artist vision
Urban architecture as a back-drop set for artists narratives of ongoing social changes, reflections on past stories, dreams and
• Video: The Genius of Photography (BBC program disc two)
• Topic: Straight photography
A typological method to take straight shoots of urban changes discussing about the disruption both to the past and to the future.
• Abstract and minimalist art
painters who focus on lines, grids, squares, circles and other shapes like constructing Marquette, abstract and surreal from reality.
• Ready-mades/large installations
• Massive scale of jigsaw pieces building up an empire for episodes of stores from life to create their hallucination to their own childhood and longing for peace.
• Movie: The Rising Tide: Documentary on Chinese contemporary art by Robert Adano (2006)
• Artist films, 3-D, cartoon manipulation, web, and etc
• Summarize and wrap up: discussing what we want to know more and answer more questions. We can invite some art critics and artists to meet the students.
CCC does not offer regular set packages for this class. However we are happy to help you plan a private custom-made one. Please scroll this web page down to check prices and propose a date and your own group.
- Review of Contemporary Chinese Art and Artists
- Chinese Figure Painting Class
- Write your own Chinese signature in calligraphy
- Talk/Hands-on: Spring Festival & Spring Couplets
- Talk: contemporary female artists in China
- Talk: How to Appreciate Chinese Calligraphy
- Lecture: Antique Chinese Ceramics
- Calligraphy & Qigong Class