Zhang Lijia, the Beijing-based writer was inspired by the secret life of her grandmother to look deeper into China's massive underground sex industry. She will talk about how she gained insight into the trade which formed the basis of her new novel, Lotus - a story of a young migrant-worker-turned-prostitute as she carves out a life for herself in Shenzhen, China’s ‘City of Sins’. In addition to some fascinating and colourful anecdotes, Lijia will discuss the deeply-flawed current legal system tasked with managing the social problem, such as ‘custody and education’, similar to the notorious ‘laogai’; how the working girls have often been brutally treated; the broad social issues that have led to the spectacular rise of China’s sex industry, and the growing gender inequality in the reform era.
The talk and discussions will be in English.
Venue: China Culture Center, Chaoyang District, Beijing, China.
CCC does not offer regular set packages for this class. However we are happy to help you plan a private custom-made one. Please scroll this web page down to check prices and propose a date and your own group.
- Book Club: "China’s Best Contemporary Writers"
- Book Club: "The Soong Dynasty"
- Book Club: "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down
- Book Club:"The True Story of Ah Q"
- Book Club: Laozi's "Tao Te Ching"
- Book Club: "Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud"
- Book Club: "Leaving Mother Lake"
- Book Club: Ancient Chinese poems