* Part 1 will covers the period from the beginning of human activities in China to 1840, on the eve of the Opium War.
* Part 2 will cover the First Opium War to the present-day.
The 6 sessions lectures on "Ancient and Imperial China" will provide a good understanding and appreciation of the evolution of politics, institutions, religion, science, technology, arts, philosophy, literature, values, as well as important personages, and geographical impact.
The lectures will be conducted in English assisted by images and PowerPoint presentation.
Venue: China Culture Center, Chaoyang District, Beijing, China.
CCC's mission is to promote a deeper understanding and appreciation of Chinese culture by offering a wide variety of cultural activities and events to our members. Fees to certain programs such as this are provided on a non-profit basis and are meant to only cover actual costs of that specific program. You can help us by registering in advance of the program so that we can minimize the cost of these programs. Your contribution helps us to continue offering such programs in the future.
Ancient China LHistory Course Outline:
Lecture I, Dawn of Cultures to the Dawn of a unified China
Lecture II, Qin and Han Dynasties
Lecture III, Three Kingdoms to the Dynasty of Sui
Lecture IV, Tang Dynasty to Song Dynasty
Lecture V, Dynasties of Yuan and Ming
Lecture VI, Impact of the Rise of Global Trade on China and Qing Dynasty prior 1840
About the teacher
Professor Terri I-chuan Wu received her Education in Taiwan through the sophomore year at the National Chengchi University and passed the Higher National Civil examination before finishing her university and master degree in Sophia University, Tokyo Japan. She did her PhD in Louvain University in Belgium and went on to be selected as researcher of Belgian National Funds for Scientific Research (FNRS) and professor at Louvain University. Having visited China regularly since 1980 and for the past 4 years has resided in Beijing.
CCC does not offer regular set packages for this class. However we are happy to help you plan a private custom-made one. Please scroll this web page down to check prices and propose a date and your own group.
- Contemporary Chinese History Course
- 4-session Chinese History Course
- Lecture: China and Europe/US from 1368 till 2009
- Book Talk: "Socialism Is Great!" by Zhang Lijia
- Talk: News Photograph in China
- Talk: Chinese Imperial Bureaucracy
- Talk: World War II in Modern China--Ambiguous Foreign Heroes and Contested Histories"
- Illustrated Talk: The Sent-Down Youth & Shaolin Monks