Western musician-scholar Dr. Jeff Roberts, will present a lecture on Ethnic Minority music in China: from Tibetan Music, to the Music of the Muslim Uyghurs, to Ethnicities in Yunnan and the music sounds emanating from the Mongolian people of the Northeast grasslands. Alongside an extensive listening journey through these cultures, Dr. Roberts will sketch the essential characteristics of the cultures that have produced this music as well as a discussion on how this music has either integrated or remained separate from the music traditions of the Han majority.
Venue: China Culture Center, Chaoyang District, Beijing, China.
- Talk: Western Classical Music in China
- Chinese Music and Instruments Workshop
- Rock Music Talk by Cui Jian
- Peking Opera Face-painting & Make-up Workshop
- Folk Songs & Music on Boat at Lotus Pond
- Kun Opera Workshop
- Lecture: How to Listen to Chinese Music as a Westerner
- Lecture: The World of Chinese Guqin (Zither)