July 2007, CHINA
Director: Joanna Vasquez Arong
Many are choosing to come to Beijing to pursue a new life. In a city full of surprises and changes, many foreigners find refuge in this trendy bar, Neo-Lounge, run by a hip Shanghainese couple. Neo-Lounge follows a year in the lives of a Bulgarian jazz singer and an exuberant Italian businessman and their colorful friends, in their journey in breaking from a traditional past, whilst pursuing their own space in unpredictable Beijing.
The director, Joanna Vasquez Arong, will be available for a Q&A session after the screening.
• 9th Cinemanila International Film Festival (Manila, Aug 2007)
o Best Documentary
• 34th Brussels International Independent Film Festival (Brussels, Nov 2007)
o Best Documentary
• 8th Asiaticafilmmediale (Rome, Nov 2007)
o Special Mention
• Temecula Valley International Film & Music Festival (Temecula, CA Sept 2008)
o Special Jury Prize
About the Director:
Joanna moved to Beijing from Manila in 2002 to pursue her dream of filmmaking. Prior to taking the plunge into films, Joanna worked in various fields around the world including finance (Deutsche Bank, Asia-Pacific region) and economic development (United Nations, Bangkok & Beijing). She pursued a Political Science/International Studies degree at Boston College (with a year exchange at the Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Paris) and a Master’s Degree in Development and Environmental Studies at the London School of Economics. Her feature debut film, Neo-Lounge, which premiered in 2007 has screened in 20 festivals and has won four international awards. Her most recent work is an award-winning short documentary, YUGONG YISHAN (30’), which features some of the underground music scene in Beijing.
CCC does not offer regular set packages for this class. However we are happy to help you plan a private custom-made one. Please scroll this web page down to check prices and propose a date and your own group.
- Documentary screening: "Found in China"
- Documentary Screening: The Hammer and Sickle Are Sleeping
- Screening: "The Lost Brother"
- Screening: Classic Chinese Animated Films
- Screening: "Cherries Grows on The Pomegranate Tree"
- Screening: "Mao's Last Dancer"
- Screening: "Hollywood Chinese"
- Screening: "Young And Clueless" (qing chun qi)