This is a documentary film and talk of how the famous "red lantern" district of Eight Hutongs in south Beijing were raided with PLA soldiers and prostitution banned within just one night, upon the founding of New China in 1949, and It goes on to show how those ladies were reeducated and transformed in Beijing, Tianjin and Shanghai into regular working women of all trades in a socialist society.
Come watch this rare old footage show, which recorded this special period of Chinese history.
Venue: China Culture Center, Beijing, China.
- Contemporary Chinese History Course
- 4-session Chinese History Course
- Ancient Chinese History Lectures
- Lecture: China and Europe/US from 1368 till 2009
- Book Talk: "Socialism Is Great!" by Zhang Lijia
- Talk: News Photograph in China
- Talk: Chinese Imperial Bureaucracy
- Talk: World War II in Modern China--Ambiguous Foreign Heroes and Contested Histories"